Document Type

Presentation

Session Description

“Do not bother me with all that complex technologies; let me do my job the best way I know how”. The above statement is a red flag to impending faculties’ resistance to the introduction of eLearning technologies in the classroom. Just as in other organizations, changes to the status quo does not come so easy. Faculties resist eLearning technologies because of some reasons, which include feeling threatened, prior negative experience, stress, among others. This paper focuses on understanding the resistance of the faculties to the eLearning technologies and the use of negotiation as a coping strategy. The author uses “Resistance Models” to examine the degree of the faculties’ resistance. Thus, apathy, passive, active, and aggressive resistance were examined in relation to the phenomenon. Furthermore, the author advocates the use of “Relational Negotiating” and the application of “emotions” when negotiating the introduction and use of eLearning technologies with faculties.

Keywords

eLearning Technologies, Faculties' Resistance. Resistance Models, Relational Negotiation, Emotions.

Audience Focus

Both K-12 and Higher Education

Start Date

7-30-2015 8:15 AM

End Date

7-30-2015 9:15 AM

Brief Biography of Primary Presenter

Mr. Benjamin C. D. Agbo (Advance Doctoral Status) Department of Organizational Leadership, Policy, and Development University of Minnesota, Twin Cities. B. Sc. & M. Ed degrees in Vocational Teacher Education - Industrial Technical (University of Nigeria, Nsukka). MN K5-12 Teaching License.

Share

COinS

Jul 30th, 8:15 AM Jul 30th, 9:15 AM

Understanding the Resistance of the Faculties to the eLearning Technologies and the Use of Negotiations as a Coping Strategy